Saturday, March 1, 2008

EatinG in Shanghai Blue 1920

Decided to try out a new restaurant which is situated just a couple of buildings from Sam's office. It's called Shanghai Blue 1920 The place looks old from the outside. Can't believe it's only been there for 2 years.

Photobucket

It's pretty dark inside too just like Dapur Babah but a little brighter than that. It does look cozy and romantic like what the book says and I'm sorry I just haven't put myself 100% totally in learning the art of photography so I can't quite capture that nice feeling in my pics like those I see in the book. They are better than the Dapur Babah pics though coz thanks to Cin, who taught me a little about taking pics in darkly lit places. Of course I haven't master it yet but I guess these pics will have to do for the time being:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We had these for lunch:

Photobucket
Ayam Masak Merah Shanghai Blue 1920

Photobucket
Tahu Telur Dowager

Photobucket
Udang Goreng Shanghai

Photobucket
Bayam Kukus Telur Asin

Photobucket
Es Shanghai Blue 1920

And lastly I have to put up the pic of the rice coz it costs me Rp 60K.... yes, freaking Rp 15K/pax for plain rice sprinkled over with fried shallots!

Photobucket

Overall, the food was yummy. The recommended dish, Ayam Masak Merah, was a bit too much for me though. I like my food with spices but too much spices make me sick and I think they overdid it with this dish. If u are not the old-fashioned type, no, u won't enjoy this dish. Only old people can appreciate it. I love the Tahu Telur and Udang Goreng best. This is how the Udang Goreng looks like after the first bite:

Photobucket

A must order if u ever go there. I don't like the dessert though. I know many restaurants that serve better Es Shanghai than there. All in all, I still prefer Dapur Babah compared to Shanghai Blue even though they are under the same management. Yup, just found out SB 1920, Dapur Babah, Lara Djonggrang & Samarra are from Tugu Hotel Groups. No wonder they are all designed pretty much the same way. The waitress told me that Dapur Babah's food is more to Middle Java whilst SB 1920 is more to Chinese Peranakan. Cost me a whooping Rp 400K to eat in there =.= More expensive than Dapur Babah but food is great so I say it's worth a try except for the stupid rice. Next time bring your own rice when u go there.

Done with lunch, we went to Pacific Place. We were early when we arrived. It was only 1.30pm so the kids and I went to Blitz Megaplex to play wii. I have to make the Blitzcard first and each game was charged Rp 12K per 30 mins of play. The 3 of us tried Cooking Mama and I have to agree with Wiwin that it's better to play on DS. It's really frustrating to play wii coz we have to move the stick so the arrow point to the key 'enter' before we press it and it takes seconds to get the cursor to work properly. If it is my wii and I'm at home, I would have smashed that stick on the wall. No, it's not a stress-reliever. Just makes me want to find a punching bag. After a game or 2, I gave up and let the kids continue to play while I went outside the game room. Looked at the movies playing and was quite unsure yet what to watch. Earlier I have sms Ivan asking him & Lie Yong to join me in Pacific Place but he sms at the last minute saying that he can't coz my dad asked him to do something. Asked Yon to check on which movie I can catch while the kids were playing in Kidzania and in the end I decided to watch "Ghost Mother", a Thai 'supposedly' horror movie since the duration of that movie is only about 90 mins.

I had the kids registered first and saw to it that they went inside Kidzania before I went back to the cinema. Met many BBS mommies over there. Apparently they make full use of the Sports Day to play hehehe...Went to the counter and was kinda reluctant to buy the ticket at first coz I saw only 2 seats up in front that were marked blue but I thought, "Hey, at least I'm not alone." So, I bought the tickets, went to get popcorn and drink and proceed to Auditorium 6. I was ushered inside and to my horror, I was actually the ONLY one in that cinema. Inside it was freaking cold as well. I was seated right in the middle and honestly, I was more afraid of my situation than the movie. It was really creepy but I survived the whole show anyway. The movie itself is far from scary. It's good in a way though. If it is like Ju-On, I would probably ran out of the auditorium screaming like a crazy lady. My 1st time.... not watching alone coz I used to do that a lot when I was in Singapore but well, it's my 1st having the whole room to myself hahaha....

When I came out, it was only 3.30pm. I went to Little Black Cafe to seat down. Ordered hot chocolate and coffee pudding.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I don't like the coffee pudding coz I find the liquor too strong and too bitter. I only finished half of it. The hot chocolate was good though especially since I was feeling really cold.

Whenever I go to Pacific Place, I never got tired looking at the lighthouse just outside Y&Y Restaurant.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Such a pretty sight, isn't it?

Thinking that I should stop cafe-hopping, I went to the hairdresser instead. I thought how can washing and blow drying be more expensive than a cup of coffee in Starbucks?

Saw this hair salon called Talents so I went inside. After 40 mins, I came out looking all puffy with Rp 65K lesser. Yes, that's what it costs just to have your hair wash and dried. Went upstairs to fetch the kids.

It was a long, tiring day =.=

No comments: