Monday, June 23, 2008

MaidS ProbLeM

Will it be rude if I just tell my FIL why my old maid refused to come back to work with us? Will it be okay to tell him that it's not about the salary? I'm getting pretty stressed out coz he keeps comparing the new maids to the old. Okay, maybe the new ones aren't so smart but I think they are actually okay and what I like about them is their perseverance; no matter how my FIL scolded them, they are not known as the quitter type. And reason why the old maids don't want to come back, it's because they can't stand facing my FIL day in, day out. It used to be so much better when he only came back in the morning and left the house no later than 2 pm. The last month before the maids started going back, they had to face my FIL everyday especially weekends. It's not so bad for me coz I know even if he sometimes disagree with how I run things around the house, he will never confront me directly. Always complain to Sam and then Sam will tell me. That's annoying but still bearable. Not the same with the maids though.

So just now while I was eating dinner he started asking me:

FIL : How much were the previous maids' salary? Do you give them all the same?"
Me : Only Lia's salary differs. I gave her Rp 900K
FIL: So what did the rest get?
Me: The other 3 get Rp 500K each
FIL: Hah?? Only Rp 500K?

Come on... Rp 500K is a lot for a maid's salary in Jakarta. Alright, it's not a lot but it's the average or at least a little more than average. Rp 900K for my old maid coz she's really, really dependable and you can trust her coz she's the hardworking type. Even when we aren't home she won't laze around. I know coz my neighbour told me so and I've seen how she worked. She's so different from any other maids. I think Rp 500K for the rest is pretty reasonable coz 1st, my house isn't so big so there's nothing much to clean up anyway. 2nd, they don't even help me look after my kids unlike the Rp 900K one. I think my FIL must be thinking I'm such a cheapskate boss to the maids. I don't care coz I know I'm doing the right thing. I don't know if only my maids are like that but I've learnt from experience you can't be too good to them. They just don't know how to appreciate. I had this maid who used to take care of the kids once. She came with us twice to S'pore and to Bali.... we really treated her like a family but what happened? Just one small incident and she just quit without giving us even a day notice in advance. And she made the other 3 maids quit with her at that time at the middle of the night. That was really disappointing. Learned not to be too close with them afterwards.

I went to my dad's house in the morning. Have to pray for my grandma today. Stayed there until 3pm. Went to Versa Tour after that. Asked Cin to help me buy fish balls soup from Restoran Angke. We started to talk about Ivan's situation. It's really bad but I guess what Cin & Ayau have decided is for the best interest of my dad. When Cin retold me his conversation with dad, it was so sad at one part that it made me cry. My dad shouldn't have this kind of thing worrying him at his age. By the time Ivan realized how much he hurt us all, it will be too late. I have also told Sam about it just now over the phone.

BTW, hari ini gua ambil sarung tripod gua dari tukang jahit. Hehehe... You know how the cases normally look so dull and so long? I decided to buy some cloth and have it made into tripod case but in a smaller version. This is how it looks like:

Photobucket Photobucket

No comments: